The next time I make this recipe, I will leave out one carrot because it made the curry too sweet, and throw in some other veggies instead: mushrooms, peppers, celery... basically anything that would normally go in curry. Also, next time I would add the carrots, onions, water and rice all at the same time if I'm using brown rice because the onions pretty much disintegrated and the carrots were really mushy. If you're making this with white rice (cooking time is only about 15 minutes for the rice) then sauteing the carrots and onions first would be perfect.
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- garlic, minced
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1c uncooked brown rice
- 3/4 lb. uncooked shrimp
- 3/4 lb. uncooked scallops
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Chop carrots and onions and cook until soft (about 5 minutes).
2. Mince garlic while carrots and onions are cooking and add to skillet, along with curry powder. Cook garlic and powder until fragrant (about 2 minutes).
3. Add uncooked rice, 2.5c of water, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, stir once, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
4. While rice is cooking sear scallops.(Yes, I bought the tiny ones!)
5. Add uncooked shrimp and seared scallops to curried rice, nestling shrimp close to the bottom of the skillet. Cook until shrimp are cooked through (about 5 minutes).